Monday, May 24, 2010

new direction

i don't like the way this blog is going. my thoughts have been well and good, but sometimes i think i'm writing a blog just to write a blog. when i first started writing in this thing i had something to say. i wasn't writing just to write, i was writing to share thoughts that seemed worth sharing. lately, though, i'm not sure my thoughts have been worth sharing. not my public ones, at least.

so i'm taking a break. last summer i intended to "find myself", which i think i did. by the end of the summer of 2009 i was living in pittsburgh again, back in school, and restarting. i've had almost a year back in the city now and i'm staring in the face of my first summer of living in the city. thoughts and ideas will come and go this summer, but i'm not going to share them here. i'm taking the summer off from blogging.

this summer i'm looking to refresh.

i wrote a few months ago about my interest in becoming disconnected. technology has left us all with cell phones to instantly connect to one another, and half of us with the internet available on those same devices. facebook has managed to manufacture relationships while keeping you "in touch" with friends you weren't sure you ever had. well, now it's time to take some steps toward disconnection. i thought about deleting my facebook, but i'll just avoid it instead. after all, it's a useful mode of communication when necessary. same with email. but this blog has become simply a forum for me to talk and for you to listen. my thoughts haven't been interesting enough for me to continue.

so this summer i'm going to journal, paint, write songs, play music, experience art, read, and interact. this summer is about getting back down to basics and remembering who i am and where i'm going. i'm riding a bike for most of my sunny day transportation. i'm making time to journal and read the Bible. i'm hitting the refresh button. that's what this summer is about for me. i hope to see you along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment